The God we serve is one of TRUTH
Jesus replied, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
— John 14:6 (NET)
For everyone who does evil deeds hates the light and does not come to the light, so that their deeds will not be exposed. But the one who practices the truth comes to the light, so that it may be plainly evident that his deeds have been done in God.
— John 3:20-21 (NET)
Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been fathered by God and knows God. The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
— 1 John 4:7-8 (NET)
“Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” Jesus said to him, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.‘ All the law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”
— Matthew 22:36-40 (NET)
Then he will say to those on his left, “Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels! For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink. I was a stranger and you did not receive me as a guest, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.”
Then they too will answer, “Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not give you whatever you needed?” Then he will answer them, “I tell you the truth, just as you did not do it for one of the least of these, you did not do it for me.” And these will depart into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
— Matt 25:41-46 (NET)
Reject a divisive person after one or two warnings. You know that such a person is twisted by sin and is conscious of it himself.
— Titus 3:10-11 (NET)
Finally, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate, and humble. Do not return evil for evil or insult for insult, but instead bless others because you were called to inherit a blessing. For,
the one who wants to love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from uttering deceit.
And he must turn away from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the Lord’s face is against those who do evil.
Donald Trump, on the other hand, used bankruptcy laws to steal tens of millions of dollars from his employees and contractors, and stole from them a second time by refusing to pay taxes, forcing them to pay his fair share. He also encourages his followers to hate all Muslims because of the actions a few terrorists, but handwaves away the same complaints made against whites who commit acts of terror in the name of Christianity.
From that and many, many other things he has done and said it is blindingly clear that of all the things that Donald Trump is – reality TV star, thief, liar, sexual predator, hypocrite, thin-skinned egomaniac – one thing he most certainly is not is a Christian.
Now obviously the fact that he isn’t a Christian doesn’t make him unqualified to be President. I regularly thank God that America isn’t a theocracy, and pray that it doesn’t become one. Trump’s faith – or the total lack thereof – has no bearing on whether or not he is qualified to do the job. But…
- The fact that he tells very public and obvious lies and expects people to believe him does show that he is unqualified.
- The fact that he throws very public hissy fits every time anyone calls him out on one of those lies or disagrees with him in any way does show that he is unqualified.
- The fact that he refuses to even talk to anyone who doesn’t agree with him does show that he is unqualified.Among our closest friends are Pagans, atheists, Jews, and who knows what else. Also among them are Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, and Liberals, and I’m an Moderate Independent with mostly Conservative leanings. I value their opinions as they value mine. The refusal to even listen to anyone else’s viewpoint is immature, egomaniacal, and very un-Christ-like.
- The fact that he pretends to be a Christian in order to use people’s faith in God to trick them into trusting him does show that he is unqualified – and a world-class hypocrite.
- The fact that he is comfortable being publicly supported by white supremacists and other hate groups does show that he is unqualified – and a complete moral vacuum.
- The fact that he thinks dictators like Vladimir Putin – who have government-run media companies tasked with keeping the masses ignorant and under control by only showing them his “alternate facts” – are great democratic leaders does show that he is unqualified.
- That is precisely why Trump fights so hard to discourage his followers from seeking the truth about anything – he doesn’t want them to learn the truth about him or what’s really going on in the world.
I’ll let Jesus Himself wrap this up with the words He spoke to another group of people who refused to see the plain truth standing in front of them:
If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
Why don’t you understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot accept my teaching. You people are from your father the devil, and you want to do what your father desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I am telling you the truth, you do not believe me. Who among you can prove me guilty of any sin? If I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? The one who belongs to God listens and responds to God’s words. You don’t listen and respond, because you don’t belong to God.
— John 8:31-32, 43-47 (NET)